Why the Size of Your Air Conditioning Unit Matters
The size of your central air conditioning unit is determined by many factors. It’s important that you choose the proper size needed for your home because it will directly affect the efficiency, performance and the cost of your system. Of course, like with many things, the larger the size the more the cost.
But you can’t save money simply by settling for a smaller unit. If your AC system is improperly sized too small for your home- you will notice a large increase in your power/gas bill. Too small air conditioning systems will require the use of a lot more energy to cool or heat your home.
How Air Conditioning Units are Measured and Sized
You may have heard of 2 Ton units, 2.5 Ton units, 3 Ton units and so on. The tonnage of a unit is a system that HVAC professionals use to properly measure and size a unit to a home. For example, my home was 1333 Sq Ft and I had a 2 Ton system that heated and cooled efficiently.
8 Things HVAC Professionals Calculate to Choose the Correct Unit for Your Home
Professionals look at a number of different things in your home to chose the right size HVAC system. Do not trust online calculating tools for this intricate evaluation. Here are a 8 examples of things we look at to accurately give you an estimate for a new system:
- Total volume of the home’s living space – not just the square footage.
- The area of sun-exposed exterior walls.
- The number, age, condition, orientation of windows – do your windows face south?
- The amount of sunshine on your home.
- The age of your home’s construction.
- Degree of air sealing the amounts of insulation.
- Existing ventilation system and ductwork – are they right?
- Amount of shade from trees and shrubs.
Contact Us Now-3 Easy Ways
1. Live Chat- Just click the start chat button and an experienced member of our team will answer all your questions
2. Contact Form/Schedule Appointment- Fill in your information and we’ll follow up by email
3. Call Us (615)-469-5965 /Mon-Fri 7am-4pm
What happens if my unit is not sized properly?
Oversized for your Square Footage?
An oversized unit is easy to recognize. When your unit is oversized, the unit will cut on and cool the space very quickly due to the amount of air being pushed inside but then cut off. Then your home will realize it’s not properly cooled and the unit will cut on again. The cycle is on-going and this on and off power cycle of the unit will jack your bill.
Undersized for your Square Footage?
An undersized unit is pretty easy to recognize as well. If your unit is undersized, your living spaces will not be cooled properly at all. Your HVAC system is one of the most important mechanical systems in your home, if you believe that you have a unit that is improperly sized, call us and we can take a look.
Remember: If you need a quote on a new HVAC system, we have a free estimate system and will quickly take care of your needs .